What’s New at Gradient
Awards and Announcements
Qian Zhang received a certificate for completing the MIT course in Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
Kurt Herman was appointed to serve as a member of the 2229 Main Street Advisory Task Force to advise on potential future uses of a Superfund site in the town of Concord, MA.
Gadol, HJ; Ostrander, CM; Villarroel, L; Taenzer, L; Wankel, SD; Carignan, VE; Hansel, CM. 2023. “Particle- and light-mediated processes control seasonal manganese oxide cycling in a meromictic pond.” ACS Earth Space Chem. 7(6):1181-1194. doi.org/10.1021/acsearthspacechem.2c00368.
Prueitt, RL; Beck, BD; Calabrese, EJ. 2023. “Use of toxicology in the regulatory process.” In Hayes’ Principles and Methods of Toxicology (7th Edition). (Eds.: Hayes, AW; Kobets, T), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, p41-93.
Prueitt, RL; Hixon, ML; Fan, T; Olgun, NS; Piatos, P; Zhou, J; Goodman, JE. 2023. “Systematic review of the potential carcinogenicity of bisphenol A in humans.” Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 142:105414. August. doi: 10.1016/j.yrtph.2023.105414.
2023 Prop. 65 Annual Conference. September 18, 2023. San Francisco, CA.
- “Best Practices in Sample Analysis: What to Do and What Not to Do, and Why Labs Might Reach Different Results.” Round Table. T. Lewandowski, M. Easter (EnSIGHT), R. Scofield (GSI Environmental), M. Whittaker (ToxServices).
Biocompatibility Insights 2023. September 26-28, 2023. Annapolis, MD.
- “Case Studies Addressing Identification and Assessment of Potentially Carcinogenic Substances in Medical Devices, Cohort of Concern, and Common Medical Device Degradation Products.” J. Cohen.
PSX 2023. October 17-19, 2023. Boston, MA.
- “Strategies for Evaluating Endocrine Disruption Potential Across Large Chemical Portfolios.” A. Lewis.
- “Challenges in Ingredient Disclosure Alignment and Supplier Communication.” K. Reid, A. Lewis (Moderator).
- “Current Regulatory and Scientific Developments in Microplastics.” A. Yeh, L. Bailey, A. Grossman (Praedicat, Inc.), M. Tymchak (Moderator).
PharmaEd Extractables and Leachables Summit West 2023. November 2-3, 2023. La Jolla, CA.
- “Use of Toxicological Screen Limit (TSL) in Medical Device ISO 10993-17:2023 Risk Assessments.” I. Mohar.
American College of Toxicology (ACT) 44th Annual Meeting. November 12-15, 2023. Orlando, FL.
- “Toxicological Risk Assessment and Exposure Limit Derivation for Human Transferrin as a Serum-Free Media Residual in Cell-Based Drug Products.” I. Mohar, T. Lewandowski.
Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) North America 44th Annual Meeting. November 12-16, 2023. Louisville, KY.
- “Environmental Safety Assessment of Data-Poor Pharmaceuticals Using Read-Across.” I. Bamgbose, J. Vo, T. Verslycke.
- “Domestic Wastewater as a Nonpoint Source of PFAS Contamination in the US.” P. Clyde, K. Zic, J. Rice.
- “Limitations of Using Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationship (QSAR) Models to Predict Organic Carbon Water Partition Coefficient (Koc) for Complex Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs).” W. Hoque, J. Rominger, T. Verslycke.
- “A Portfolio Screening and Prioritization Framework for Endocrine Disruption.” T. Verslycke, A. Lewis, T. Manidis, D. Lyon, N. Synhaeve, G. Hinkal, L. Saunders, S. Villalobos, K. Colvin.
American Chemical Society (ACS) Fall 2023. August 13-17, 2023. San Francisco, CA & Hybrid.
- “Postmortem Redistribution of Cannabinoids: Is Reliable Estimation of Intoxication from Postmortem Samples Possible?” T. Lewandowski, S. Boomhower.
EUROTOX 2023. September 10-13, 2023. Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- “Epidemiology Study Quality Evaluation in a Systematic Review of Aspartame and Cancer Evidence.” D. Boon, A. Khandaker, E. Anneser, J. Goodman.
By The Way…
The US President’s FY 2024 budget for the Environmental Protection Agency totals $12.083 billion, which is $1.9 billion, or 19 percent, higher than the FY 2023 enacted level.